Wednesday, March 14, 2007


While working with a first-time director, what do you look for? How do you invest faith in someone without a formal training benchmark?

I don't invest faith [in directors].

I look for sparks like what I had when I started off.

I look for the intensity of his desire.

I want to see the sincerity in what he wants to say. His energy levels. His willingness to change his mind constantly when things are not working out. His openness.

I just look for four-five qualities like this and then I cast according to the subject.

If I were to make a very frivolous film, I wouldn't hand it to someone very serious. He would be a problem for that picture.

Similarly, I wouldn't give a serious subject to someone who is looking out to have fun.

So it is all about casting: Every human being is different.

In the picture: Nana Patekar (right), in Ab Tak Chhappan, which Ram Gopal Varma produced. The critically acclaimed film was directed by first-timer Shimit Amin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home